5/9/2023 6:22:40 PM
May 7, 2023
Fifth Sunday of Easter
Sermon Text: John 14:1-11
Other Readings: Acts 4:8-12 and 1 Peter 2:4-10
- In verse 11, Jesus said, “Or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves.” What evidence did Jesus give his disciples that they should believe what he said?
- Based on these verses, how might you describe heaven?
- Philip wanted Jesus to fulfill some condition when he said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us” (v. 8). How would you fill in the blank, based on the conditions people nowadays want to put on Jesus, “Lord, _______________ and that will be enough for us.”?
- In what ways does Jesus show love to his disciples in this account?
- Jesus’ many miracles leading up to this Holy (Maundy) Thursday evening gave proof that his words were true and that the Father was working through Jesus.
- We should always stress that heaven is being with Jesus (v. 3). Jesus also assures us that heaven is a place that he himself has prepared for each believer personally.
- A whole lot of things can go in that blank, such as “Lord, give me a better job… heal my sickness… make this country better…” But who are we to focus on just temporary blessings and to make demands of Jesus that he hasn’t invited us to ask of him?
- Jesus assures them that he will prepare heaven for them and take them back to be with him. Additionally, Jesus patiently rebukes his disciples when they err. He does not cast them off as outsiders but rather keeps giving them promises to strengthen their faith.